Have you ever tried giving your money a "name" to control your spending? Being a budget nerd has changed my life! I now view money in a completely differently light...like monopoly money! Read along as I share my money woes, funny stories, and successes.
Sunday, June 26, 2011
Safe Within My Own Money
What do I need to feel safe within my own money? Is it the balance in my bank account sitting at a specific number? Is it knowing that my money is doing what it should for me and my family? Or, is it knowing that all my basic needs are provided for at this time. It is interesting to me to apply Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs to financial situations. On the bottom level of the pyramid there are the basic four: food, clothing, shelter, and transportation. On the next level up there are social and relational needs like: entertainment, activities with friends, events. and vacations with family. Above that level is providing above and beyond for yourself and others. This is where I'm sitting with my feet dangling below and my finger still touching the tip of the bottom level. I know how to show people how much I care by using my money to benefit them. I know specific gifts that make my husband and children smile. I'm able to buy a new purse, special face cream, and a new shirt (just for fun). Still, I'm looking up at that top level and trying to figure out what it takes to get there. How can I stop looking down and focus on the ultimate goal? That top level is a place where I have enough and I no longer have to count each penny and adhere to a strict budget. It is a place where I can do what I want to do for others and for myself. The bigger question is why am I still focused in the mentality of the bottom level? Why do I scrounge around for things that are taken care of? I need to get up and figure out how to get to the top level; both financially and mentally. In this journey of my financial needs, I need to realize I am safe within my own money.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment