Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Tomorrow, Tomorrow

When the weather is dark and gloomy, my mood is naturally reflective.  I think of similar days that are gone by.  I remember all that I have done, where I’ve been, and what I have and haven’t accomplished.  Then, my thoughts roam to tomorrow.  I look to what I’m facing that I know about and I dream about where I would like to be.  I’m a dreamer and my thoughts are often of tomorrow. I had a DISC profile completed on me that said, “Don’t dream with her, you don’t have enough time”.   There is a need for people like me to help others see the big picture.  For that reason, my dreaming talents are a blessing from God.  However, people close to me often remind me to “live in the moment”.  One of my favorite verses is Proverbs 27:1 – “Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth”. It is a constant reminder to me that what I’m planning may not be part of God’s plan. This has been a huge growth area for me.  It has only been in the past year that I’ve accepted that simple truth.  Tomorrow is a day away, fix what you can now and leave the rest for God. 
            When it comes to our financial journey, the idea of planning for tomorrow is a major area for people. Retirement planning is a hot topic for obvious reasons.  Many people today are retiring today with the hope that Social Security will be there to support them.  Some people live so much in the moment that they forgot to look ahead.  Before they knew it, they were 62 and facing retirement.  Tomorrow had arrived and they are asking what happened yesterday.  Living paycheck to paycheck has led them to their last paycheck.  Like a job that has ended suddenly, their way of life has been stranded.  The unfortunate part is that their options are very limited.  Perhaps they needed more “dreamers” in their life.  They needed someone to ask the tough questions about tomorrow. Planning for tomorrow and talking to others is not always for boastful reasons; it is for showing others that you love them enough to care about what their life will look like when they face retirement head on. I will try to remember to live in the moment, as long as my friends know that they can always count on me to think about tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment